Why do you do what you do? What's your dharma?

For my book on innovation I met a bunch of business leaders, among them Suresh Krishna who was then the head of the TVS group and boss of Sundram Fasteners.

During our meeting, Krishna asked a question everyone should ask themselves at some point: What is your dharma? Why do you do what you do?

It's a query common across cultures. The Japanese call it Ikigai, in psychology we know it as self-actualisation in Maslow's hierarchy of needs.

But I like the simplicity of the 'What's your dharma' poser, perhaps because of my cultural and civilisational roots.

When I thought about it, I realised that a Sanskrit verse from the Upanishads, a part of which was on my school blazer's crest, pretty much described my dharma.

Asato mā sadgamaya/ tamasomā jyotir gamaya.

Whatever else I may be, I'm primarily a writer of non-fiction and an urge to shed light and speak the truth is at the heart of all my writing.

It's not always easy. If you work for an employer or a client, there will be occasions when telling truth to power can cost you.

But its a goal. As a writer, I don't want an easier one.

Many times, when my words fall on deaf ears, it's tempting to console myself with the Ekla chalo re exhortation to plough a lonely furrow.

But as writers we want to be read, of course. It is our fervent hope, expressed so beautifully by Majrooh Sultanpuri, that,

Main akela hi chala tha janib-e-manzil magar
Log saath aate gaye aur karwan banta gaya


So what's your dharma? Why do you do what you do?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Europe leisure travel tips for Indians

Eating with your hands - or not

Middle class apathy